Wednesday 25 November 2015

Scoreboard of Dreams...

Everybody takes stock of their life at some point. Wonders what the point is. The purpose. We measure our achievements, successes, failures against our own Scoreboard of Dreams...

Ooh, nice detached family home with double garage......score 1
Yep, annual ski-ing holiday in France.....score 1
Oh, haven't got that corner office yet...........score ZERO

Trouble is, I never really figured out my Scoreboard. 

As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice...."if you don't know where you're going, any path will take you there..."

When I was about seven, there used to be a sitcom on TV called The Good Life. It was about a forty year old married man (Tom Good, played by Richard Briars) who starts to wonder about his own Scoreboard.

Wonder whether his Scoreboard was actually worth shit.

During the first episode, Tom says to his wife....

"Its just a feeling I've got....it's quality of life...if I could just get IT right"  "What's "It" ? she asked. "I don't know" he answered, "But I'll know when I find IT"

As is turns out, Tom's "IT" is jacking in his job, and turning his suburban household into a "self sufficient hobby farm", ploughing up his daffodils and planting potatoes, raising pigs in the back garden, and generally pissing off his upper middle class neighbours.

I totally loved the show. And ironically, its how my life has really ended up.

My life in a nutshell has been : Leave school, too lazy to go to University, get married, get divorced, do dead end jobs, emigrate to Canada because my boyfriend wants to go, leave boyfriend, other dead end jobs, become an Alcoholic, marry awesome guy (happy accident), get sober, write about it, end up living The Good Life without realising it..........find my "IT"

(Ha, fuck you Cheshire Cat, what do you know?)

So this is my blog. About throwing out the Scoreboard. About a way of life that I once saw on a 1970's sitcom, and ended up living....Cheers, Tom & Barbara Good.(And the BBC)

Jackie, xx
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment